Christmas is a busy time of year for everyone, but ensuring your Constantia home is properly protected against festive crime should be made a priority.
This is a time when many of us are spending time away from home visiting family or travelling abroad. It is also a time when the house is full of valuable items such as gifts, food and wine. Because of this, Christmas traditionally sees a sharp increase in domestic burglary, with criminals targeting houses when they are at their most vulnerable.
To avoid being a victim of festive theft, take a look at these tips for protecting your home this Christmas.
While out shopping:
- Try to avoid doing most of your shopping in one trip as you may struggle to carry all your bags therefore you will be distracted, making it easier for a thief to steal from you.
- Keep your handbag closed and hold all bags securely to make it more difficult for the pickpockets. Keep mobile phones out of sight. Try not to keep too much cash and keep your cheque book and credit card separate.
- Try not to go back to your car in the middle of the shopping trip to put gifts in the boot, thieves may be watching car parks for this opportunity.
- Always ensure that Christmas shopping/gifts is placed in the boot of the car and out of sight. Check that all windows and doors are shut and locked.
- During the month of December we have many Christmas celebrations and social events to attend: remember pubs, restaurants and other venues are often crowded.
- Don’t leave bags over the back of your chair where its easy for thieves to run off with them. Keep your bag zip closed and your wallet and mobile safely inside.
- If you will not be driving to the place make prior arrangements as to how you will get home. Make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you will be back.
- Avoid any potential distraction on the street and don’t get too drunk as you could become an easy target.
- Try to avoid putting Christmas gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve!
- If you go out in the evening make sure that some lights are left on to make it look like someone is home. However, do not leave your Christmas tree lights on when you are out of the house, as these are a frequently the cause of domestic fires
- If you are going away for Christmas put an automatic timer on lights and ask a trusted friend to watch the house for you. Don’t forget to cancel newspaper .
- After Christmas, when taking your rubbish out, make sure that the boxes of your Christmas gifts are not easily visible… burglars will be on the look out to see who received top of the range equipment, worth breaking-in for.
Contemporary architecture with bold designs:
Newly renovated Constantia Upper home offers space for the family to relax and enjoy. Four bedrooms, two of which are en-suite. The main bedroom has a ‘his and ‘hers’ dressing room and the bedroom opens up onto a private patio.
Gourmet kitchen overlooks the spacious family room, dining area and lounge area. There is a built-in bar area in the family room. Rimless glass stacking doors open up onto the well maintained garden with the sparkling swimming pool and Jacuzzi. Other features include three garages and staff accommodation. Read more…
Contact Marion Bolton on 082 408 5041 or Sally Gracie on 083 459 9523 for more information.
So the end of the year is just around the bend and I’m sure you couldn’t be happier! There are those of you who will already have your end-of-year holiday planned to a tee. Then, of course, there are those who haven’t even had time to think about it. Either way, the holiday season is coming up and you’ve got to be ready. Whether you are traveling across an ocean, driving to somewhere amazing in South Africa, or even staying put at home, you’ll want to be ready no matter what.
Now to make sure you are ready for your incredible holiday, we’ve put together a helpful checklist to make sure your getaway trip doesn’t unexpectedly break down. Make sure you have the following before you hit the road:
- House-sitter – Just one less thing to worry about.
- Suntan lotion – For obvious reasons.
- Your smile – So often overlooked but can make or break a vacation.
- Phone charger – Or even better one for your car. You don’t want to lose connection with the world.
- Cash for souvenirs – Be that cool friend, it’ll score you major points.
- Your trusty camera - To capture all the amazing memories and moments along the way.
- ID/Passport – Proof that you are a proud South African!
- Entertainment – Like books, music, board games and more; it’s time to start chilling out your way.
- Map/GPS – The sooner you get to your personal paradise, the better!
- Emergency Numbers – Save the person to contact in an emergency under ICE (In Case of Emergency)
Four bedroom house for sale:
Click on image for more information
The perfect Constantia property for the extended family or if you need work-from-home office space. Large open plan living space including formal lounge, dining room and entertainment area. Main house: four spacious bedrooms, main en-suite bathroom and family bathroom. Separate study, kitchenette in bedroom wing, perfect for late night snacks or morning coffee.
Office space or Dual Living: four rooms plus guest bathroom.
Situated in sought after area of Constantia well known for its close proximity to top schools, easy access to all major roads, world class restaurants, wine estates, as well as numerous mountain and forest walking trails.
Contact Chas Everitt agent Shanaz Sity-Herskovitz on 082 746 7788 for further queries.
Price includes Vat, therefore No Transfer Costs payable.
This enormously popular event is, for more than 20 years being; the flagship project of The Rotary Club of Kirstenbosch, featuring the Cape Town Concert Brass and the Cape Town Male Voice Choir, and it is sponsored by Pick n Pay. It is a fun way to get in the mood for Christmas and it also raises funds for charities in and around Cape Town.
The concert starts at 20h00, while gates open at 17h00. There is also pre-carols entertainment from 17h00 to 20h00. The event ends approximately at 21:45.
Below is the ONLY pricing structure:
Thursday, 18 December 2014. (The pricing structure is discounted) – R80 – Adults, R55 – Scholars, R15 – children 2-6 years, toddlers under 2 years enter free.
Fri-Sun, 19-21 December 2014. (Pricing is higher for these 3 days) – R90 – Adults, R65 – Scholars, R20 – children 2-6 years, toddlers under 2 years enter free.
For more information, contact: Kirstenbosch Rotary on 083 270 9286 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.kirstenboschrotary.co.za
This year tickets will only be available via online sales at Webtickets ( www.webtickets.co.za ) as from the week of the 27th October 2014, or at the ticket offices at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens as from Tuesday 16th December 2014.
The public is urged to be aware of a bogus rental scheme that is taking place around the country.
This seems to work so well it has been gaining popularity! Individuals pretend to be estate agents and target unsuspecting potential renters. They post details of rental properties online and then ask interested parties to secure the flat by paying a deposit, either in cash or via electronic funds transfer.
A Sea Point man was arrested in August on fraud charges after allegedly conning nine people after an advert on Gumtree.
The suspect reportedly advertised a flat for rent and then asked interested parties to secure the flat by paying a deposit and the first months rent, which in itself is normal terms and conditions. However, when it came time to move in, victims find the flat is occupied and the suspect has made off with the deposit.
These bogus agents inform potential renters that a number of people are interested in the property and are urged to view and pay the deposit and / or first months rent and they would get the property. With a tremendous scarcity it seems there are plenty of desperate tenants who fall for this.
Should tenants have an interest in a property it is recommend that you phone the local office of the estate agency to establish that the agent is a registered agent with that company. But of course it is easy to use the name of a real agent so do not just use the number you are given but look it up yourself.
Never transfer money without seeing a contract first or without verifying that you are dealing with the owner or the owner’s representative. Do not pay a deposit without solid confirmation that the organisation is following legal procedures. Easier said than done if you are desperate to secure the apartment.
The annual 2014 sunset Christmas Carols Concert at Steenberg has become a ‘must-do’ on the festive season calendar for Constantia Valley residents and visitors from further afield. A festive occasion for friends and family to enjoy together, this year’s concert will take place from 18:00 to 20:30 on Thursday 18 December, on the rolling lawns in front of the elegant Steenberg Hotel.
Please bring your own picnic blankets and chairs.
Gates Open: 17h00
Follow the link to book tickets.
South Africa’s trusted tip-off service since 1992.
In two decades the anonymity of not even one informer has been compromised. We all have a responsibility to make South Africa safer for our children and every law-abiding citizen.
If you have information that can assist in exposing people involved in illegal activities, please contact us anonymously when you know:
WHO DID WHAT TO WHOM, WHEN, WHERE, WHY AND HOW?
Remember, the detectives are keen to follow up your information. Please give as many details as possible.
The Constantia Gift Fair will take place from the 5th till the 9th of November 2014. R20 entrance fee for adults, children are free of charge.
The Constantia Gift Fair is a lifestyle event full of inspirational ideas and hand-picked innovative products – a celebration of gifts with a difference. Lots of home and garden accessories, fashion items and gorgeous must-have gifts.
The deli section is an extravaganza of delicious and exotic food-gifts.Come and sample superb food and drink, soak up the magical atmosphere, let your children have a ball in their kiddies play area and enjoy a sensational shopping experience with friends and family.